I made these the night before I ate them so they took about 50 minutes in the oven instead of 25. I also made a few changes to the original recipe which you can see in parenthesis. This dish needed more seasoning, I had to add salt, so if I make it again I’ll be throwing in additional spices that aren’t listed in the recipe. Although I have to say it was a good light meal!
Spinach and Cheese Roll-Ups
(Recipe from lowfatlifestyle.com)
• 1/3 cup chopped onion
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 – 14.5 ounce can diced canned tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/4 teaspoon sugar
• Dash of salt
• Dash of black pepper
• 8 dried lasagna noodles (whole wheat noodles)
• 1 – 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
• 3/4 cup fat-free or reduced fat ricotta cheese (ff cottage cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
• 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil (dried basil)
• 1 slightly beaten egg white
In a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Carefully stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until sauce is desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
For filling, drain thawed spinach well, pressing out excess liquid. In a medium bowl stir together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and basil. Add spinach and egg white, stirring to combine.
To assemble, evenly spread about 1/4 cup filling on each noodle and roll up from one end. Place rolls, seam side down into 8×8 pan. Top with sauce.
Bake casseroles, covered, in a 350 degree oven about 25 (50 if made the night before) minutes or until heated through.